What to bring/expect
PREPARING FOR YOUR DOCTOR’S APPOINTMENT
A little preparation can help you get the most of your time with the doctor.
Before coming in for your appointment, you should spend a few minutes planning what you need to discuss (e.g. do you need to advise your doctor about new symptoms or do you need a prescription?).
TO PREPARE FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT, YOU CAN:
- Write a list of the symptoms you are experiencing—including when they occurred, how long they lasted, and what you were doing right before you felt them
- Write a short list of questions for the doctor
- Jot down any relevant information about your medical history and illnesses in the family to tell your doctor
- Write down what medications you are taking and their dosages—including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal remedies
- Bring copies or reports from any recent tests with you
- Bring your Medicare card and your healthcare or Veterans’ Affairs card if you have one
- Bring your health insurance details, and
- Remember that you are always welcome to bring a support person along with you.